We will be hosting a Support Our Soldiers donation drive at GCMS Middle School that will run through Friday November 10, 2017. Items will be displayed at the High School during our Veteran’s Day assembly. Collected items will be sent as care packages to the 238th Illinois Army Guard Aviation Unit out of Peoria, Illinois (CH 47 Chinook helicopter) who were recently deployed to Afghanistan.
Students should bring donation items to their enrichment classroom for collection!
*Thanks and recognition to Gibson Area Hospital and Health Services for covering all shipping costs!
Most requested military care package items:
- Travel size shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash
- Small or medium size toothpaste, mouthwash, dental floss, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, deodorant (non aerosol), lubricating eye drops, Gold Bond foot powder
- Individually packaged toothbrushes
- High Protein Items:
- Meat or tuna in cans or pouches (pull-top cans please)
- Beef jerky and/or Slim Jims (individually wrapped please; no pork items please)
- Protein Bars (granola/snack bars – not chocolate covered)
- Peanut butter crackers/snacks (individually packaged)
- Small packages of nuts and/or trail mix
- Packages of dried fruit
- Snack size/Individual size packages of Chex Mix and Pretzels or similar items
- Hard candy and mints
- Decks of cards
Local Donation Opportunity: Our local food pantry is always in need of Paper products (napkins, paper towels, toilet paper) and Peanut Butter and Jelly! Donations of any of these products are welcome at the Middle School during our donation drive for Soldiers!
Boxes for these items will be outside the Middle School office!