Attention GCMS Elementary School Students, Families and Friends,
We will be hosting a donation drive at GCMS Elementary School from October 30 – November 10, 2017. This year, in addition to the nonperishable food drive, we have added an item drive to support our troops/soldiers. *Specifically the 238th Illinois Army Guard Aviation Unit out of Peoria, Illinois (CH 47 Chinook helicopter) who were recently deployed to Afghanistan.
If you are interested in participating please send donated items to GCMS Elementary School with your student during the set dates of Monday October 30, 2017 and Friday November 10, 2017.
The collected nonperishable canned food will be distributed to local families in need and the collected items for our soldiers/troops will be sent as care packages during their deployment. (*Thanks and recognition to Gibson Area Hospital and Health Services for covering all shipping costs for the care packages!)
There will be a competition between grade levels to see who can bring in the most items. It will be a great exercise in community service for our students AND it will be great fun! The Elementary School partners with the ICSB GCMS school bus drivers/monitors in this effort, and the winning classroom will get to ride in the Gibson City Lighted Holiday Parade on a decorated/lighted school bus. The winning grade level will enjoy a pizza party hosted by the bus drivers. The final count of donated items will be after dismissal on November 10th. The winners will be announced Monday November 13th.
NOTE: Please see the back of this note for suggested donations for our troops/soldiers.
NOTE: Our local community food pantry (Gibson Area Food Pantry at Gibson Area Hospital) is always in need of peanut butter.
If you have any questions please contact:
GCMS Elementary School Social Worker
217-784-4278 ext 1025
**Gibson City Lighted Holiday Parade is scheduled for Saturday November 18, 2017.
Most requested military care package items:
- Travel size shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash
- Small or medium size toothpaste, mouthwash, dental floss, hand sanitizer, sunscreen, deodorant (non aerosol), lubricating eye drops, Gold Bond foot powder
- Individually packaged toothbrushes
- High Protein Items:
- Meat or tuna in cans or pouches (pull-top cans please)
- Beef jerky and/or Slim Jims (individually wrapped please; no pork items please)
- Protein Bars (granola/snack bars – not chocolate covered)
- Peanut butter crackers/snacks (individually packaged)
- Small packages of nuts and/or trail mix
- Packages of dried fruit
- Snack size/Individual size packages of Chex Mix and Pretzels or similar items
- Hard candy and mints
- Decks of cards